Since it’s Wagner’s 200th birthday today, we thought we’d put a little bit of music on the old blog. Enjoy!
Five fun facts about the birthday boy!
1. He could apparently hardly play the piano or any other instrument in fact!
2. He wrote The Ring Cycle, the world’s longest opera at 18 hours.
3. Queen Victoria was a fan.
4. So was Hitler.
5. He wasn’t a fan of England, describing a trip here as being like a “damned soul in hell”.
- Wagner everywhere but New York (therestisnoise.com)
- Germany celebrates composer Wagner’s 200th (sacbee.com)
- ‘I hate Wagner but I hate him on my knees’ (thelocal.de)
- Wagner goes online at 200 (britishlibrary.typepad.co.uk)